"Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil...by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." (Jesus to the Pharisees in Matthew 12:34-37)
Our words flow from the abundance of our hearts. - Think about that for one moment. Go ahead, stop reading and consider that statement.
As I reflect on this, I am blown away by what my words say to me, about me. Consider the following questions:
- Are my words predominantly positive or negative?
- Do my words reveal confidence in people or pessimism?
- Do my words judge and condemn, or reflect mercy and patience?
- Are my words seasoned with kindness or with cutting words?
- Do people feel better after talking to me or worse?
The words we use flow from the treasure in our hearts. If your words are negative, hurtful, unkind, merciless, etc, consider the toxins in your heart that are causing you to see people or the world the way your words reveal.
Let your words reveal to you the nature of the tree in your heart - then work on that tree so it can bear good fruit.